How To Make Your Leather Boots Last

Leather Boots

While the cooler weather ushers in a fitting time to break out the fall fashions, it also brings an entire assortment of unsavory environments that can give your leather boots a beating.

How To Make Your Leather Boots Last

Rain, mud, snow and salt are just a few of the conditions you may find yourself ankle-deep in, so it’s best to care for your boots on a regular basis. Depending on the material, consider waterproofing before wearing them regularly – consult with an associate or the manufacturer if you’re unsure about application. Also, brush them off, wiping away the dirt, salt, or any other debris after each wear.

To keep your boots looking good as new, treat them with a leather oil or cream to provide moisture (this can be messy, so consider applying in a well-ventilated area over old newspapers.)

If the weather in your area is particularly inclement, consider adding a traction sole to keep your footing solid. And when your boots do begin to show signs of wear, don’t fret – check with your local shoe repair person and look into a re-sole. Love your boots and your boots will love you!

About the author:

. Follow him on Twitter / Facebook.

Comments

1. Dorothy Thrower says:

Information provided was very helpful.

2. enifkams says:

Heel and toe “taps” save on sole wear and tear. If you love those boots, it’s worth it to find a good shoe repair shop to have the taps added before you wear out the heel.

3. Liz says:

I find it annoying that you are sending emails about caring for leather boots, when your site doesn’t even allow for a search for REAL leather shoes/boots. So many of your shoes are “man made” and since I prefer to purchase real leather, it’s frustrating to have to look at every shoe to determine the materials. You should include this as a sort option. Thanks!

4. Darla says:

This was a helpful reminder/information..,thank-you!

5. L. Olvera says:

Thanks for the leather boot care tips! I buy a lot of my leather shoes at Famous Footwear and love the quality and prices!

6. Lila Guzman says:

I really love your shoes so much and I really like your sales.

7. Deb says:

Been doing this for years. I usually wipe them down with one of those “shoe wipes” hotels provided we had in house~ then ALWAYS DEEP CLEAN.
    Always store them clean etc & they last. I have vintage boots – all styles~ im 57 years old. Not expensive but get compliments. Your styles last!!

8. Gloria says:

But so many of the affordable boots at famous are faux leather. How can you make those last?

9. Christine Brennan Christine Brennan says:

Hi Gloria, Many of the same tips apply. Cleaning after each wear and keeping boots dry when you’re storing them are essential steps to keep them looking their best! -Christine

10. Christine Brennan Christine Brennan says:

Thanks so much Lila!

11. Christine Brennan Christine Brennan says:

Liz, Thank you so much for the feedback. We will share this with our website team. In the meantime you should be able to type “leather boots” into the search bar for best results. Let us know if you have any other thoughts about how we can provide a better online shopping experience. We appreciate it! – Christine

12. Earlene says:

I’m with Liz. I just did a search as you suggested, Christine, and I keep getting boots made with ‘faux leather uppers.’

13. Christine Brennan Christine Brennan says:

Hi there, I’m sorry that you’re not finding exactly what you’re looking for. If you would like to give me your gender and size, I can make some suggestions for you :)