How to Find Your Shoe Size

How to Find Your Shoe Size

perfect fit_blogpost

It might seem like a no-brainer, but there’s more to getting that perfect fit than just slipping on a pair of shoes. But don’t fret just yet – Famous Footwear is here to guide you through the process so victory is yours… and it fits just right.

First, how about a few interesting footwear sizing facts?

Our feet may swell as the day ticks by, so it’s always good practice to try on your shoes towards the end of the day to ensure total comfort.

Our feet grow as we age – sure, not to Hobbit-sized proportions, but it’s good to have your feet measured every year (plus, it’s a great way to tell your feet, “Hey, I’m here for you.”)

Your feet carry all your weight, so be sure to stand when you have them measured.

Brands, styles, even sizes can vary by brand… when you can try the shoe on, go ahead. And while you’re at it, slide on both and give them a stroll.

Be sure to wear the socks you normally wear with the shoes when trying them out – dress socks can alter a fit dramatically compared to athletic socks. Silly, silly dress socks.

And what about the kids?

When shopping for kids shoes, the toe box – where the toes go to – should leave enough room for the toes to wiggle, to and fro.

For each finger’s breadth of extra length between their toes and the edge of the toe box, you have about 3-to-6 months of room to grow.

Your kid’s foot may grown faster than you would think – it’s always good to check the fit on a regular basis to account for sudden spurts.

If the shoes are hard to get on – excluding wild kicking or spontaneous dance parties – or they don’t seem to want to ever keep them on, it might mean the shoes are too small… or they really, really want to dance.

Ask the Experts

When you’re thinking about how to find your shoe size, it’s also important to utilize expert resources.

Feel free to make use of our Fit Assistance page offered on the Famous Footwear website.

And if you have any questions about finding the right fit, stop by your nearest Famous Footwear store and have your feet measured. Your feet with thank you.

About the author:

. Follow him on Twitter / Facebook.

Comments

1. Kurtis waters says:

I’ve been shoe doing with famous footwear exclusively for a few years now. I wear a site 7.5 inn men’s and have a hard time finding shoes at your store these days. The more time that goes by the harder time I have finding the shoes that I like in my size. The time I went to your store I had a hard time finding any shoes in my size.

2. Christine Brennan Christine Brennan says:

Hi Kurtis. I’m sorry for the disappointment regarding the availability of men’s size 7.5 at our stores. Please know that we do our best to provide a wide range of sizes to accommodate our many customers. Unfortunately, some sizes are not consistent performers at our stores and therefore we do not always carry a large inventory of those sizes at the store. I truly appreciate the time you have taken to express your thoughts. Your message has been forwarded to the appropriate parties so that your comments regarding our selection of men’s shoe sizes may be considered. I thank you for being a loyal customer and I hope we will have an opportunity to serve your future footwear needs.

In the meantime, you may be able to find more options on Famous.com than in stores. We have over 2,000 styles in your size: http://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US/Mens/_/_/_/Size+7.5+Mens/Products.aspx?partnerid=blog_cs

3. Rene' says:

Why in the world do you offer to narrow and define by size? I try that every time and then what comes up never has my size. Why bother if it’s not true. YOU WASTE MY TIME !!!!!!!!!!! After twenty minutes of that I am so mad I go somewhere else.

4. Christine Brennan Christine Brennan says:

Hi Rene,

We sincerely apologize about the issues you are experiencing on our website. Please let me know what gender and size you’re looking for and I will send you a link to the correct results. In the meantime we have our technical team looking into the issue on Famous.com.

Thanks,
    Christine

5. Rene' Rowland says:

I see the narrow your search by size is still worthless , why don’t you fix it? How hard can it be? Why bother having it? What good would it do to give you gender or size as any gender and any size on your website is wrong. For me or my children or Grandchildren , it matters not. It takes hours to order anything.

6. Christine Brennan Christine Brennan says:

Hi Rene,

We went into the site and made a couple of fixes to the sorting, but it sounds like you are still having an issue. We apologize for the inconvenience and frustration this has caused. We certainly want you to enjoy your experience on Famous.com! If you could give us some more information we can better help you. Can you let us know the steps you are taking to make this sorting issue happen? What page were you on and what options did you choose?

Thanks,
    Christine

7. Kris says:

Just came across your great fit charts, and love them. Then I saw these comments, and thought the filter function must be fixed by now. So went on to shoe shopping. Here are the steps I took:
    1. Selected size 11
    2. Selected width Medium
    3. Searched shoes and clicked on a few, and here is what I found:
    a. The filter works with new shoes
    b. The filter does not work on older/sale shoes
    4. Then selected only dress shoes, had the same results.

It appears that older shoes have not been loaded correctly into your system. I am not sure when you implemented this filter option, so up to you to determine if it is a long standing problem or recent.

You may consider reaching out to a handful of your best customers for end-user testing before rolling out enhancements.

I will still be a loyal customer in spite of this, because I am soooo used to the frustration of shopping for my size, but it would be great if you could get this fixed.

8. Christine Brennan Christine Brennan says:

Hi Kris,

First of all, thank you for being such a loyal Famous Footwear customer! Thanks as well for this valuable feedback and good suggestion about end-user testing. I have forwarded it to our technical teams for consideration.

Best,
    Christine

9. Pamela Neal says:

I have been a customer of FF for years. However, my foot has grown wider and you do not carry wide shoes in your stores. Too bad.

10. Christine Brennan Christine Brennan says:

Hi Pamela,

We do actually carry wide-width shoes in many of our stores and online at Famous.com. If you let us know what your shoe size is and the type of shoe you’re looking for, we would be happy to make some suggestions.

Thanks!
    Christine

11. Carldavid says:

Every time i come here i have a hard time finding the shoes i like for my size. Im flat footed and have to have supportive shoes but with a flatter inside. I wear a 14 2e and boy is it hard to find sometging for this fat foot